10 February, 2017


Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get more information about the Dominican Republic?

If you are interested in obtaining information on the country, such as places to visit or things to do, you may contact our Tourist Board in London or visit http://www.godominicanrepublic.com

Do I need vaccinations or malaria pills to enter the Dominican Republic?

No inoculations are required by law to enter the country. The Foreign & Commonwealth Office has advice on health safety which you may find on their website: www.gov.uk/government/organisations/foreign-commonwealth-office. It is always advisable to consult your GP on what would be the correct option for you.

How much time do I need to have on my passport to visit the Dominican Republic?

To enter the Dominican Republic, a passport must be valid for at least twice the length of your stay.

What if I want to stay longer than 30 days?

If you decide to extend your stay in the Dominican Republic, you will have to pay an extra fee upon departure, depending on the length of your stay.

What is the departure tax and how much is it?

If the departure tax has not been included in the cost of your airfare, you must pay it at the airport before departing the Dominican Republic. The amount of the tax is US$20.

Do children need special documents to leave the Dominican Republic?

Children not resident in the Dominican Republic do not require special documents to travel in or out of the country as long as they are accompanied by the same person on both instances.

If a child will be accompanied on departure by someone other than the person he or she entered with, a legal document must be obtained as proof that this has been authorised by the parents or guardian. See http://www.dominicanembassy.org.uk/consular-services/under18/ for details.

A Dominican friend wants to visit me. What does she or he need to do?

The granting of visas to visit or live in the UK is the responsibility of the British Embassy in Santo Domingo. For information about the procedure and requirements, you need to contact them. For contact information, visit www.gov.uk/world/organisations/british-embassy-santo-domingo

What do I have to do to move to the Dominican Republic?

Basic information on this can be found in Residence Visa or Business Visa. For more details, please send an email to consulate@dominicanembassy.org.uk

Can I bring my prescription medicine?

If you need to take your prescription medicine with you to the Dominican Republic, you must carry an original prescription stating the required dosage, or a letter from your doctor.  This will prove to the Immigration authorities that you are carrying the drugs for your own consumption.
Please note that illegal drugs are not welcome in the Dominican Republic and there are tough laws against trafficking and consumption.

Can I get a copy of a Dominican Registry Office certificate from the Embassy?

The Embassy does not have access to the systems of Dominican Republic marriage, birth or death Registry Offices and cannot provide copies of marriage, birth or death certificates. Copies have to be obtained in the Dominican Republic, by contacting the local Registry Office with correct information about the location of the file, i.e. the file number and date which were assigned to the original certificate. The travel company or tour operator that helped plan your wedding may be able to assist you in this matter.

I got married in the Dominican Republic and have received my Marriage Certificate. What should I do with it now?

Please visit the following website for information on how to deposit your Foreign Marriage Document with the General Registry Office. http://www.fco.gov.uk

The Embassy provides a translation service for your certificate.

I have a criminal record in the UK. Can I travel to the Dominican Republic?

As long as there is no impediment to your leaving the UK at the time of your journey, you may enter the Dominican Republic.

Can I travel to the Dominican Republic with only a photo ID?

No, you require a full passport to enter the Dominican Republic. You may also need a tourist visa. For more details visit our visa section.

Can I take my pet to the Dominican Republic?

The Animal & Plant Health Agency requires the following documentation for cats and dogs being brought into the country:

  • A health certificate issued no more than 15 days prior to the arrival date of the animal.
  • A health certificate from the Animal & Plant Health Agency.
  • Anti-rabies vaccine, tripe vaccine (distemper, leptospirosis, and hepatitis) and parvovirus vaccine certificates showing inoculations 15 days prior to the arrival date of the animal.

Pets not meeting these requirements will be quarantined for a period ranging from eight days to one month, depending on the country of origin.

For all other types of animals, special authorisation should be sought from and issued by the Dirección General de Ganadería (Department of Animal Husbandry). Prior to your departure, be sure to obtain a health certificate from the Animal & Plant Health Agency.