Consular services


Frequently Asked Questions


Where can I get more information about the Dominican Republic?
If you are interested in obtaining information on the country, such as places to visit or things to do, you may contact our Tourist Board in London.

The Dominican Republic Tourist Board
18-22 Hand Court
High Holborn
London, WC1V 6JF
Tel: 020 7 242 7778
Fax: 020 7 405 4202

There is also useful information about the country on and

Do I need vaccinations or malaria pills to enter the Dominican Republic?
No inoculations are required by law to enter the country. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has advice on health safety which you may find on their website: It is always advisable to consult your GP on what would be the correct option for you.

How much time do I need to have on my Passport to visit the Dominican Republic?

To enter the Dominican Republic, a Passport must be valid for 6 months.

Why is my Tourist Card different from the one I purchased on my previous visit?
The format for Tourist Cards changed in 2006. The green form has been replaced by a single entry card with an identifying number and barcode.

I was sent several Tourist Cards together in one envelope, how do I know which one is mine?
It does not matter which card you actually carry to enter the country.

How long are Tourist Cards valid for?
A Tourist Card entitles you to stay in the country for 30 days from the date of entry. Tourist Cards are valid from the date of entry into the country; not from the date of purchase.

What if I want to stay longer than 30 days?
If you decide to extend your stay in the Dominican Republic, you need to visit the nearest Migration Department in Santo Domingo to request an extension. You will need to pay from about US$5 to US$100 depending on the length of stay. The fee can also be paid at the airport upon departure.

Is it better to get my Tourist Card before I leave the UK?

This is optional. However, people who are visiting for a second time prefer to get it in advance to save time at the airport. There is often a queue for purchasing the cards, which then have to be handed (after another queue) to the Immigration Officer. If you do decide to purchase it upon arrival, we recommend you take exact change (US$10).

What is the departure tax and how much is it?
The departure tax is different from the Tourist Card, which is purchased before or upon arrival. If the departure tax has not been included in the cost of your airfare, you must pay it at the airport before departing the Dominican Republic. The amount of the tax is US$20.

Do children require special documents to travel to the Dominican Republic?
Children not resident in the Dominican Republic do not require special documents to travel in or out of the country as long as they are accompanied by the same person on both instances.

A Dominican friend wants to visit me, what does she or he need to do?
The granting of visas to visit or live in the UK is the responsibility of the British Embassy in Santo Domingo. For information about the procedure and requirements, you need to contact them. You may find their contact information on the FCO website:

Why do tourist and business visas take so long to be approved?

The approval process does not take place in London. Copies of the documents are forwarded to our Foreign Ministry in Santo Domingo.

What do I have to do to move to the Dominican Republic?
For more information on how to apply for a Residence Visa or a working permit, please write or email the Embassy. We will forward the appropriate information as soon as possible. There is also useful information regarding this on the dr1 website (

Do I need a machine-readable Passport to enter the Dominican Republic?
A machine-readable passport will be required to enter the Dominican Republic from March 2010. ALL CURRENT BRITISH PASSPORTS FULFILL THIS REQUIREMENT.

Until what age can my child be on my Passport?
A child can be on either of his parent’s passports until the age of 15. Please visit the “Minors” section of our Consular Services for more information on other issues relating travelling with a minor.

Can I bring my prescription medicine?
If you must take your prescription medicine with you to the Dominican Republic, you must carry an original prescription stating the required dosage. This will prove to the Immigration authorities that you are carrying the drugs for your own consumption.
Please note that illegal drugs are not welcome in the Dominican Republic and there are tough laws against trafficking and consumption.

Can I get a copy of a Certificate from a Dominican Registry Office at the Embassy?
The Embassy of the Dominican Republic does not provide copies of marriage, birth or death certificates (held/occurred) in the Dominican Republic. The Embassy does not have access to the systems of the marriage, birth or death Registry Offices.
Copies have to be obtained in the Dominican Republic, by contacting the local Registry Office with correct information about the location of the file, i.e. the file number and date which were assigned to the original certificate. The travel company or tour operator that helped plan your wedding may be able to assist you in this matter.

I got married in the Dominican Republic and have received my Marriage Certificate, what should I do with it now?
Please visit the following website for information on how to deposit your Foreign Marriage Document with the General Registry Office.

Can I travel to the Dominican Republic with only a photo ID?
No, you require a full passport to enter the Dominican Replic.

Can I take my pet to the Dominican Republic?
The Department of Animal Health requires the following documentation for cats and dogs being brought into the country:

a) Health certificate issued no more than 15 days prior to the arrival date of the animal
b) A health certificate from the Office of Animal Health
c) Anti-rabies vaccine, tripe vaccine (distemper, lectopirosis and hepatitis) and Parvo-virus vaccine certificates showing inoculations 15 days prior to the arrival date of the animal.

Pets not meeting these requirements will be quarantined for at least eight days or up to one month, depending on the country of origin.

For all other types of animals, special authorization should be sought from and issued by la Dirección General de Ganadería (Department of Animal Husbandry). They may be reached at +1809 535-9689. Prior to your departure, be sure to obtain a health certificate from the Office of Animal Health. They may be reached at +1809 549-1302. The document is valid for 72 hours and will be needed at your next port of entry.

I have a criminal record in the UK, can I travel to the Dominican Republic?
As long as there is no impediment to you leaving the UK at the time of your journey, you may enter the Dominican Republic.

Consular Section
Embassy of the Dominican Republic
8 Gloucester Square
London, W2 2TJ

Tel: 0905 677 0054 (charges apply)
Fax: 020 7 727 3693


All information displayed is the copywirght © of the
Dominican Republic Embassy UK 2005